Wednesday 27 March 2013

The Rules

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'm no expert on diet, Cancer or well anything but from my research on the Internet and also just common sense I made some simple guidelines for my Mum.

Just to give you a little bit of background on my Mum - she's 50 something, gave up smoking a year ago, has never been over weight, drinks lots of tea with milk and 4 sugars in it, loves a Sunday Roast with Beef, she doesn't drink alcohol, hates drinking water and never exercises.... so a pretty mixed bag really.

When I asked to follow 'The Rules' she was really up for it - much  more than I was expecting but I guess she was of the same mind set as me and that was to do everything physically possible to help make her better... so there was no harm in trying.



I asked her to do the 3 following things to start with:

- No meat between Monday - Thursday. Ideally it would have been none ever but I didn't want to make it too harsh and so not achievable resulting in her giving up. I also asked if she could give up red meat all together which she is giving a good go. She loves Spag Bol and so the Quorn Mince has been a great alternative and she also enjoys fish which again I don't agree with eating but health wise it is fine. So far she's doing brilliantly with this and apart from some fish and the odd bit of Chicken at the weekend she is pretty much Veggie!

- Cut down sugar. Again, ideally it would be no sugar but that would have been too much of a stretch. So far she has gone from 4 sugars to 2... or 3 when I'm not watching! :op She has also swapped a couple of tea breaks a day for Green Tea which is brilliant!

- Stop drinking Milk. This hasn't happened yet. I've tried with a few different soya milks but she's struggling. I'm still working on it though... 2 out of 3 isn't bad.

This is one of the many articles which I found really useful and it inspired the above rules: http://www.healthy-juicing-habits.com/johns-hopkins.html

Next we worked on the juice and the immune boosting ingredients...



4 comments:

  1. Well done Tracey (and tracey's Mum!)! We don't have red meat apart from the odd sausage and we're all wheat and dairy intolerant these days so don't have dairy, Ian is still struggling with soya milk but almond milk is lovely. Love that you are so into juicing. I go through phases, but I love it when I get chance, that and smoothies. You have so much energy if you start the days with a big smoothie! Looking forward to reading the rest of your lovely new blog hon x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arh, thanks Kate! We should share some receipes. Matt and I are Vegan as much as possible - pretty much always at home. We struggle with holidays and eating out sometimes though. We have a friend (Twit Twoo Bakery on FB) who makes amazing Vegan cupcakes and cookies which helps!
    Juicing totally rocks and I'm hoping to inspire as many people as possible to give it a go...
    Hope you guys are well. xxx



    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just read all through Rock n Juicing Roll & it's an excellent read! I've learnt loads about what & how to juice and it's been a bit of an emotional roller coaster - i've laughed, almost cried a few times, then gone to the kitchen and immediately juiced everything in the fridge (except the cheese, which shouldn't be in the fridge anyway). I remembered what you said about not having too much fruit sugar ... so i used 4 carrots (well done me), half a cucumber, the rest of the radishes (ewww, but not too noticeable), the broccoli stalk, an apple and 2 kiwis. I feel good & pretty smug too. It's definitely good to wash the juicer straight after using it - then it only needs a rinse. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Abi - glad you like it - laughing and juicing sounds like a good plan! I can't take any credit for your juicing exploits though - you were well ahead of us! Broccoli shots and freshly juiced cocktails will be featuring very soon! xxx

    ReplyDelete