Friday 5 April 2013

Rock n Rollercoaster

Anyone who knows me will probably agree that I'm a bit of a control freak. I say bit because I'm not a 'Monica' (from Friends) or even an 'Andrea' (Millar!) but I do generally like to know what's going on and have a plan.

This year so far it's been pretty impossible. Since my Mum has been diagnosed, everything has felt so wishy washy- there has been no exact answers or plans and things have changed on a weekly basis - something I have really struggled with and I know the uncertainty and waiting on results has been really hard for my Mum and the rest of the family too.

We've felt really frustrated with the whole process and at times with the doctors and nurses even though they have been absolutely amazing and they can only tell you what they know - we have just wanted some definite answers and a plan.

It's felt like such a crazy roller coaster ride and I really don't like roller coasters - they give me a headache.

My Mum was diagnosed with Grade 2 Breast Cancer and had decided to have a full Mastectomy with a reconstruction using the muscle from her back. This was going to be a big operation but the results look amazing and so although she had the cancer to worry about, the feelings that come with losing a breast would be alleviated a bit as she would have a nice shiny new one.

Before Mum could have the Mastectomy and reconstruction they had to do a small operation to remove some Lymph Nodes to test if the cancer had spread. Of course I new it definitely wouldn't have spread but understood they had to do this as a precautionary measure.

The results came back and it had spread. They took 3 Lymph Nodes out and it had spread to all 3. That meeting was tough and came with more bad news... because it had spread my Mum wouldn't be able to have the reconstruction... not for a while anyway.

At this point we were all starting to feel like we were taking a bit of a battering and we really wanted to stop the ride and get off...

No comments:

Post a Comment